Thursday, October 9, 2008

Blankets

I have already previously read Blankets, so this time I am viewing it with a different eye. The first time through you are taking in mostly the story, but also the art. This time around, I am taking in mostly the art. One thing I neglected to notice my first run through was that in the beginning of the story, Craig has almost no definition when he is drawn. He is very cartoony, and often lacking features like a mouth. He is poorly drawn, where as near the end he looks like a full detailed character just like every other character. I think this is probably intentional, to show how he grew throughout the story. 

1 Comments:

At October 22, 2008 at 11:21 AM , Blogger Erin Kennedy said...

I completely agree with your idea of Thompson trying to show growth in "Blankets". Because Nels had pointed out ahead of time that Thompson's style of depiction was different than Bechdels, I was paying more attention to that sort of thing. (So i too picked up on it) It's definitely an awesome advantage to reading a graphic memoir, rather than just some essay.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home